Major Software Upgrade for Samsung Galaxy S11 (mobile) now Available

Submitted: Monday, May 14, 2012 at 15:07
ThreadID: 95560 Views:4221 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Heads up for those of you using the Samsung Galaxy S11 with Android 3.2 Honeycomb op system.

I had been playing/toying with the idea of using an aftermarket 'upgrade' to the Android 4.3 Ice Cream Sandwich op/sys as all available info indicated that it would be sometime in the far future before Samsung offered an OEM upgrade for same.

On Saturday afternoon my S-G S11 announced that it wanted to undertake an unidentified software upgrade and as I have it set to automatically do this for APPS etc I just authorised it to do so and forgot about it.

On Sunday I went to use the subject mobile and it had switched itself off which it sometimes does when upgrading software. I rebooted it and logged it on - Weeeeeeeeeeell! Trendsetters, the ensuing results were quite startling. It had automatically upgraded itself from the Honeycomb system to the latest version of Ice Cream Sandwich which Samsung had just released for same. This particular Ver & Build being for the Galaxy S11 only

The only way to describe the difference/s is to imagine going from Win XP to Win 7 bi passing Vista) Visually different, Very easy to use , faster and a number of menu/setting/s differences. Very Nice.

So if you haven't already received this software upgrade, have a look for it and/or switch on the auto upgrade facility on the phone.

Mine has a Telstra Next/3G sim which I use with patch lead and external aerial. I will be using testing same in remote areas at the beginning of June12 and will post how the new Op system performs. Will also be using the internal GPS and will advise how that went as well
Regards

DD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 15:31

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 15:31
Hi

Do you mean 4.03 - thats whats on my phone...or is there a version 4.3 somewhere to be had? I think it came out a few weeks ago. It is basically all I have used so cant comment on any improvement over past versions.

I have been trying out OziExplorer and TwoNav. Ozi seems to work well though the small icons are a pain (haven't got around to making my own screens as yet). TwoNav is a bit buggy but when up and going is my preference at this point in time.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485793

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 16:45

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 16:45
Greg

Yes, Samsung in this instance has provided an upgrade from Ver 3 to Ver 4.03 for the Galaxy S11.

I purchased mine in November 2011 and it came with Ver 3 (Gingerbread) whilst 2012 Galaxy S11's came with the new Ver 4.03 (Ice Cream Sandwich) You are one of the lucky ones.

The subject piece of software I have referred to in this post is a specific upgrade by Samsung for the Galaxy S11.

It would appear that other Android based mobiles either have had appropriate upgrade software provided or users have resorted to aftermarket versions.

As I mentioned I will be trying out the GPS function and ext antena attachment early in June and will advise of any improvements or adverse effects.

DD
FollowupID: 761045

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 16:13

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 16:13
Hi DD
I have an Acer A500 and the official Ice cream sandwich (ICS) update was meant to be sent out over the air (OTA) last month.
Never turned up so managed to find an official copy on the net and ran the update myself, and as you say the difference between Honeycomb and ICS is incrediable.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 485799

Reply By: Notso - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 19:25

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 19:25
I did mine manually a couple of weeks back. Noticed that the battery lasts much longer also.
AnswerID: 485815

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 20:06

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 20:06
Mine to. It's lasting way, way longer and I've also discovered that some of the 'settings' are slightly different which may also account for this.

Whatever, I really like everything about this new version of Android.
FollowupID: 761062

Sponsored Links